Zschepplin Palace, Brühl wing (Photo: Matthias Donath)
Zschepplin Palace, Brühl wing (Photo: Matthias Donath)

With the proceeds from the sale of the Grochwitz and Rahnisdorf estates, Count Heinrich von Brühl acquired Zschepplin Palace near Eilenburg in 1761. Zscheppelin Palace was an imposing, but at that time outdated palace complex in renaissance style. In order to be able to live in this palace, he had a late Baroque wing added to the four-wing complex from 1762 onwards, which was probably designed by Friedrich August Krubsacius.

Inside, a spacious entrance hall with staircase and a baroque sequence of rooms were created. Brühl's heirs decided to leave Zschepplin to the prime minister's youngest son, Hans Moritz, who also moved there. In 1774, however, he decided to renounce the heavily over-indebted Zschepplin manor in favour of the smaller but financially secure Seifersdorf manor. In 1775, the community of heirs sold the castle and estate to Carl Freiherr von Bender and Loitha. From 1818 until the Land Reform in 1945, Zschepplin Palace was owned by the Counts of Mengersen. In the 1950s it was converted into a children's home.

Today: The palace is privately owned and not open to the public.

This project was funded by:


Landkreis Bautzen


Schloss Seifersdorf


Freundeskreis Schlösserland Sachsen e.V.

Freundeskreis Schlösserland Sachsen e.V.

In Kooperation mit Schlösserland Sachsen | www.schloesserland-sachsen.de
Stauffenbergallee 2a | 01099 Dresden | Telefon +49 3521 4920797 | Telefax +49 351 56391-1009 | service@schloesserland-freundeskreis.de | www.freundeskreis-schlösserland.de