Lindenau Palace Wikimedia (Jörg Blobelt)
Lindenau Palace Wikimedia (Jörg Blobelt)

Lindenau near Ortrand, today in Brandenburg, was the easternmost town in the Margraviate of Upper Lusatia. The palace developed from a medieval moated castle on the border of Upper Lusatia with the Mark of Meissen. In 1744, Count Heinrich von Brühl bought the estate and palace of Lindenau, as well as the neighbouring Tettau estate. Brühl took over a renaissance building with a dominating staircase tower. There is no evidence of building work on this estate, nor is it known how often the prime minister visited Lindenau. In 1758 Prussian soldiers devastated the palace. Brühl's heirs sold the estates of Lindenau and Tettau to the von Vieth family in 1780. From 1833 to 1945 Lindenau was in the hands of the counts and princes zu Lynar. Around 1920, the palace was rebuilt and extended in neo-baroque style. During the years of the GDR it was used as a children's home.

Today: After a failed privatization attempt, Lindenau Palace once again belongs to the municipality of Lindenau. The municipality is looking for a new occupier. The palace park is open to the public, but the palace itself cannot be visited.

This project was funded by:


Landkreis Bautzen


Schloss Seifersdorf


Freundeskreis Schlösserland Sachsen e.V.

Freundeskreis Schlösserland Sachsen e.V.

In Kooperation mit Schlösserland Sachsen |
Stauffenbergallee 2a | 01099 Dresden | Telefon +49 3521 4920797 | Telefax +49 351 56391-1009 | | www.freundeskreis-schlö